Dr. Don Laughlin
1. The content and quality of our prayer life is important to God and to others.
2. The number of things we can be thankful for is innumerable.
3. Every believer should periodically join other believers in expressing their thanks to God.
4. It is a blessing and a responsibility to express our gratitude to God.
5. It is crucial that we "pray without ceasing".
6. True believers always find positive items to pray about.
7. There is definitely a group of true believers in your life who are expressing their love for "all the saints".
8. It pleases our "Great God" when we pray for His children.
9. "Colossians 1:3-8 are one sentence in Greek which means they are one sustained prayer of
thanksgiving for the church's faith in Christ." Dr. Utley
10. Could the Holy Spirit record your prayers for others or would He struggle to find any of
your prayers for the good of others?
11. It is important that we remember that the Apostle Paul was in prison during the writing of Colossians.
12. Pain and suffering often improves the quality of our prayers.
13. It is quite rewarding to notice the Trinity in Colossians 1:3 and 8.
14. Prayer and thanksgiving are inseparably linked in Paul's theology and practice.
15. Do you and your friends prayer for others as you gather for meals or other gatherings?
16. Do others brag about your faith and love for others?
17. It is crucial that we develop our prayer life just as we are developing our physical muscles.
18. Are the people around you benefitting from your faith and prayer life?
19. Faith, love and hope were a favorite triad of Paul's theology.
20. Do you have a theology and does it include faith, love and hope?
21. Scholars reveal that "faith" has 3 distinct meanings in this passage and they are as follows:
a. It's OT background meant "faithfulness" or "trustworthiness", therefore, it was used of believers living godly lives.
b. It was used of believers accepting or receiving God's free offer of forgiveness in Christ. c. It was used in the collective sense of the Christian doctrine or truth about Jesus.
22. Are people in our culture talking about our faith in our "Great God"?
23. Paul's favorite phrase was "In Christ". Which referred to Jesus as the sphere of existence. Please read Colossians 1:2 and Acts 17:28.
24. Do we mostly exist "Outside of Christ" or "Inside Christ"?
25. Dr. Utley says, "Faith toward God is expressed in love for Christ."
26. Our Hope in Christ is divinely protected by our "Great God".
27. God's Great Gospel is producing results all around the World.
28. God's Great Gospel is changing people's lives all around the World.
29. God's Great Gospel is bringing Hope to people all around the World who have failed miserably and often.
30. Bearing fruit is the sign of regeneration. Please read Col. 1:10; Matt. 13:1-23; James 2:14-26.
31. Col. 1:8 is the only reference to the Holy Spirit in this letter.
32. Dr. Utley says, "The object of the Spirit-engendered love may be...
a. other believers b. Paul and his mission team
d. all the above and even the lost.
33. Are you praying that your family and friends "walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, to please Him in all respects, bearing fruit in every good work?"
34. Following Christ requires a deep love for God and a great desire to "be" what Christ wants us to "be".
35. Are you living a godly life or godless life?
36. Anyone that truly wants to please God must submit/yield to Him in any way He requires.