Dr. Don Laughlin
1 PETER 5:5-11
1. A genuine believer in Jesus Christ is obedient and submissive to those the Lord has placed over them.
2. In Jewish society a man was considered young until forty years of age.
3. I heard a major spiritual leader in America say that he would never have an elder on his elder board that was not at least 55 years of age.
4. God's wisdom is definitely needed in the life of a church.
5. Humility is staying close to the ground or staying tethered to the ground.
6. Humility allows us to see others as Christ sees them.
7. Humility allows us to work and minister as Christ did and does.
8. Humility is absolutely necessary for unity.
9. The term "grace" in 1 Peter 5:5 means "favor".
10. 1 Peter 5:5 should lead us to immediately obey God's Imperatives.
11. Humility enables us to hear the Holy Spirit more clearly.
12. Humility properly opens our hearts, ears, mind and spirit.
13. Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? We are most like Jesus whenever we are profoundly humble.
14. God is often depicted as resisting the proud and exalting the lowly. Please read Matthew 23:12 and Psalm 138:6.
15. Dr. Bob Utley says the following about 1 Peter 5:6: "In context this serves two theological purposes: 1. currently these readers are going through persecution, not exaltation and 2. the time of exaltation is at the Second Coming. Alertness, humility, and lack of anxiety are crucial in the face of Satanic-inspired persecution."
16. 1 Peter 5:7 is a tremendous passage to meditate on for at least 30 minutes. Have you grasped the full implications of the truth that we can "Cast all our anxiety on God due to the fact that He cares for us?"
17. Jesus' shepherding, intercession and death all demonstrate that He cares for us. Please read 1 Peter 2:2; 1 John 2:1-2; and 1 Peter 5:4.
18. You and I are to make a decisive choice to be mentally alert. This requires discipline and God's wisdom.
19. One scholar said, "Alertness and proper thinking can overcome anxiety and temptation."
20. One scholar said, "Wisdom is divine horse sense."
21. We need to remind ourselves that Satan is our adversary and actively at work in the world.
22. One scholar said, "Satan is an enemy of all that is good, godly and true."
23. Our prayer life should reveal that we know Satan is powerful and present in the world.
24. Our relationship with Jesus enables us to resist Satan.
25. Please read the following quote: "Victory of the devil is NOT the absence of suffering."
26. True and genuine believers are constantly growing and developing their relationship with a living and loving Savior.
27. Someone once asked an coach how many days a week they were suppose to exercise and he said, "We eat 7 days a week, therefore, we should exercise 7 days a week." The principle is also true in the spiritual realm."
28. We must develop our faith each and every day.
29. Praying without ceasing keeps us prepared for Satan's attacks.